Job Role Summary
We are currently seeking a qualified and experienced External Affairs Manager to join our team at Fife Ethylene Plant. Situated near Edinburgh, the Fife Ethylene Plant at Mossmorran is one of the largest in Europe and is owned by ExxonMobil Chemical Limited, a subsidiary of ExxonMobil Corporation, the world’s largest publically traded oil and gas company.
As part of the Fife Ethylene Plant (FEP) management team, the External Affairs Manager will be responsible for
- Developing and implementing FEP’s external relations strategy, community affairs, local issues management and employee communications programs.
- Prioritising activity consistent with local business needs, with support from the Community Affairs Coordinator.
- As UK Public & Government Affairs lead representative in Scotland, the role includes engagement with the Scottish parliament and associated agencies on issues relevant to FEP and, where appropriate, ExxonMobil’s wider business interests in Scotland.
The successful candidate would work with the wider UK Public & Government Affairs (P&GA) team of eight professionals and have one direct report based in FEP.
A successful candidate could have the opportunity to become part of an international P&GA talent pool with opportunities for business travel & assignments.
The successful candidate would have one direct report and work with a small team of eight UK Public & Government Affairs professionals.
Applications open on 5 June 2018 and close on 24 June 2018.
The first round of the interview process, will be a telephone interview. Successful candidates will then be invited to face-to-face interviews, comprised of both technical and competency based assessments.
Further information on ExxonMobil careers in the UK can be found in our Recruitment Brochure.
The job details specify the closing date; however, we do reserve the right to close adverts early, for example, where we have subsequently held a vacancy for internal redeployees or we have received an unprecedented high volume of applications. Adverts will therefore close at midnight, either on the advertised closing date, or the day the decision has been taken to close the advert early.
Job Role Responsibilities
- Coordinate relationships with key stakeholders relevant to FEP business at local and national (Scotland) level.
- Develop and implement the site’s External Affairs strategy
- Assess and enhance the effectiveness of local communicationscommunity programmes.
- Monitor relevant policy developments and develop appropriate response strategies.
- Handle local media enquiries and advise site management on media strategy for site-related issues.
- Assist in developing and maintaining appropriate emergency response procedures.
Expected Level of Proficiency
To be eligible for this role:
You must have:
- Be a public relations or public affairs practitioner or a related role, with at least ten years’ experience. Experience in a relevant industrial environment would be beneficial. Good understanding of the political system, related institutions and the media in Scotland
- Candidates should have the ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal form with internal and external parties in complex situations.
- Able to operate independently and take the initiative, while respecting corporate processes.
- Able to operate effectively in a technical environment
Demonstrate work experience / knowledge
- Experience of developing external relations strategies
- Experienced in handling and developing strong relationships with media, politicians and other external stakeholders in Scotland
- Strong strategic skills, applied to complex communications challenges
- Strong IT and social media skills.
Conditions of Employment
Successful candidates will be made a conditional offer of employment. The conditions include, but are not limited to: a satisfactory criminal records disclosure; satisfactory employment references over five years (where applicable); verification of qualifications, including any professional accreditation stated in the application; completion of a pre-employment medical, including a test for illicit or unprescribed drugs in accordance with the Company’s safety policies; and the legal right to work on the agreed commencement date.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
ExxonMobil and its United Kingdom subsidiary companies, Esso Petroleum Company, Limited, and ExxonMobil Chemical Limited, are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. All applicants are offered equal opportunity to demonstrate their abilities during our recruitment processes, therefore, please contact the Recruitment Team if you wish to discuss any particular requirements to enable you to complete our recruitment process.