Original Source: Source link
A wildcat strike at the under fire Mossmorran petrochemical plant has been resolved.
Workers who walked out of the ExxonMobil site at Cowdenbeath earlier this week, said they had now received the assurances they needed to return to work.
Employees of a sub-contractor left the plant on Monday morning amid concerns over workforce health and safety issues, with the workforce of a second company, Bilfinger, joining them in sympathy.
It resulted in a second dispute relating to payments during the time Bilfinger employees had withdrawn their labour, and some workers picketed outside the plant on Thursday morning.
Workers and unions had been locked in talks since Wednesday in a bid to find a resolution to the concerns.
Unite regional industrial officer Bob MacGregor said: “The situation at Mossmorran spontaneously occurred between some contractors and their workers resulting in work on site being suspended.
“Unite has bee involved in meetings today with the contractors and the workforce in order to bring a resolution to the satisfaction of the workforce.
“We are pleased to say that the workers have received the assurances they need in order to return back to work.
“Measures will now be put in place to ensure there is more effective and robust communications on site including on matters relating to health and safety to make sure this situation doesn’t arise again.”
GMB Scotland organiser Gary Cook added: “Staff will now return to work as normal following discussions with the Mossmorran sub-contractor representatives.
“The concerns raised surrounding working conditions and safety on site will be addressed fully under the terms of the ‘blue book’ industry agreement.
“Staff will suffer no detriment for the action taken over the last 48 hours and we look forward to working positively with Exxon and the sub-contractor employers moving forward.”
ExxonMobil has been asked for comment.